To Benefit Oxfam International and theRefugee Resettlement Program of Catholic Charities of Onondaga County
The 2013 Global Community 5k Walk/Run will be held on October 27th at Onondaga Lake Park in Liverpool, NY.
3 million refugees are expected to flee Syria by the end of the year.
- Thousands of people flee Syria daily; in February 2013 8,275 people fled per day
- Over 1.6 million refugees in neighboring nations
- The average refugee has already spent 106 days and nights in exile with little hope of returning
- Over half of all Syrian refugees are children
- In Lebanon, only 2% of Syrian refugee children of secondaryschooling are enrolled in education
A Global Community; A Local Effort: Refugees in Syracuse
- The average refugee spends 17 years in a refugee camp before being settled in another country
- On average, Onondaga County resettles 20% of New York State’s refugee population every year.
- Over 7,000 refugees have resettled in Syracuse since 2001
- Almost all child refugees have never had formal schooling